Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Access Sharing folder

From: Ansgar Wiechers <bugtraq () planetcobalt net>
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2009 03:53:48 +0200

On 2009-07-15 A wrote:
On 2009-07-14 A wrote:
If you have "domain admin" credentials, you are automatically added
to the Administrators group on all domain member machines. This
gives you access to those shares, and assuming you have logged in as
a domain admin, your credentials will allow you to access those
shares remotely without a password. (This is against best practices,
but you asked)

Please elaborate. What about that would be against best practices?

Why, Logging into a windows machine with "Domain Admin" credentials of
course.. recommended procedure is to log in as a regular user, and
elevate privileges when required..

Sorry, but I don't buy that. Not as broad as that claim is at least.

I do agree that always working with an admin account is a bad practice.
However, when I have several administrative tasks to do (or when I have
a separate workstation solely for administrative purposes) I fail to see
what would be wrong with logging in as a domain admin rather than
authenticating for every single task separately.

Also, when your regular user account is compromised, elevating
privileges "when required" may raise several issues. Your domain admin
password could be sniffed, or the task being run with elevated
privileges may be susceptible to privilege elevation attacks (e.g.
shatter attacks). From what I hear Microsoft changed the security model
in Vista, so the latter may not longer be true for more recent versions,
but up to XP that is an actual problem.

which would necessitate a password for accessing those particular
shares, unless, as already explained, a local admin had granted
permissions to said "regular user".

I agree. Access to administrative shares should be restricted to
administrators. There may be situations where one will want to make a
whole partition accessible to his users, but for situations like that
it'd be better to share the drive with a "speaking" name rather than the
drive letter. And assign appropriate permissions, of course.

Regards
Ansgar Wiechers
--
"All vulnerabilities deserve a public fear period prior to patches
becoming available."

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate.  We look at how SSL works, how
it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test, purchase,
install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are
highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1