Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: response header fields

From: Edjenguele <christian.edjenguele () owasp org>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2009 21:00:15 +0200

Chris Brenton wrote:
On Miércoles 12 Agosto 2009 11:00:48 Edjenguele escribió:
Hi as I know, suppressing Apache headers informations could be done by
two way
1) patch Apache and recompile the source code, probably the best way
2) modify/wrap response from java code using a servlet.

Or just edit httpd.conf and change "ServerTokens" to "Prod".

yes, but this only reduce the signature to the "product name" so
"Apache", even if it doesn't reveal the os type a malicious user can
force an attack by trying all possible exploit against the host.