Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: response header fields

From: Aarón Mizrachi <unmanarc () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2009 12:56:23 -0430

On Miércoles 12 Agosto 2009 11:00:48 Edjenguele escribió:
Hi as I know, suppressing Apache headers informations could be done by
two way
1) patch Apache and recompile the source code, probably the best way
2) modify/wrap response from java code using a servlet.

Andre Rodrigues wrote:
Hi,

Can you tell me what response headers do I need to suppress in order to
improve security?

Response headers example:

Server:      Apache-Coyote
x-powered-by: <My server information>

I think the above headers inform too much, so I will remove them.

Am I paranoid, or is it a good practice?

In terms of security, you are doing nothing. In terms of impact and
probability of penetration, you are reducing risks, what is good.

In conclusion: yes, is a good practice.

But, be careful on recompilation. Remember to maintain a good patch management
policy in time on handy compiled applications. I suggest you to use the patch
strategy.  It's better to loose your mask on update, rather than loose your
patchs.

 Thanks,
André

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an
SSL certificate.  We look at how SSL works, how it benefits your company
and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out
how to test, purchase, install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on
your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are
highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your
encryption keys and digital certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f
727d1

--
Ing. Aaron G. Mizrachi P.