Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: response header fields

From: Edjenguele <christian.edjenguele () owasp org>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2009 17:30:48 +0200

Hi as I know, suppressing Apache headers informations could be done by
two way
1) patch Apache and recompile the source code, probably the best way
2) modify/wrap response from java code using a servlet.

Andre Rodrigues wrote:
Hi,

Can you tell me what response headers do I need to suppress in order to improve security?

Response headers example:

Server:      Apache-Coyote
x-powered-by: <My server information>

I think the above headers inform too much, so I will remove them.

Am I paranoid, or is it a good practice?

 Thanks,
André

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate.  We look at how SSL works,
how it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test,
purchase, install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for
set-up are highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital
certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1

- --
Christian Eric Edjenguele