Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Sizing the Information Security Department

From: "Erin Carroll" <amoeba () amoebazone com>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2008 12:01:52 -0700

I've faced a similar situation in the past. In addition to Kevin's
suggestion regarding asset inventory, include roadmap timelines & current
workload details as well. If you can demonstrate that current workload of
your day-to-day duties is such that it leaves the company at risk for
acceptable response times to crisis situations (virus outbreaks,
compromises, etc) or potentially vulnerable as the "need to do" list falls
behind it will go a long way towards management justification of approving
headcount. There's also the "hit by a bus" factor.

You may also want to consider bringing in contractors to do project-specific
tasks or augment short term workload. Since generally speaking contractors
are less overhead for companies (vs employees) and the costs can be pushed
into CapEx expenditures, they tend to be an easier route to pursue to get
management buy-in.

In the scenario I faced the solution eventually was to bring in contractors
for point-in-time work while training an in-house employee from another
group to transfer over. Ping your Support organization (or other
technically-oriented group). There may be someone interested in expanding
their skillset who can help tackle the low hanging fruit & free you to
attend to the more strategic aspects. Work with the Support manager ahead of
time to identify a likely candidate (and get the manager to buy-in) and
include that with your proposal. The more legwork and options you provide to
your execs, the more likely you will be to get traction and favorable
action.

By outlining the business "costs" and providing a several options to address
your needs you stand a much better chance of getting assistance in some form
to help you.

--
Erin Carroll
amoeba () amoebazone com