Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Anti-Phishing with digital watermarking

From: Ansgar Wiechers <bugtraq () planetcobalt net>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2008 20:31:06 +0200

On 2008-09-30 Razi Shaban wrote:
I'd say it's closer to 100% unreliable than to 100% reliable.

Prove it.

Let's see you prove your "close to 100% reliable" claim first, shall we?

But even if it isn't, how do you calculate the chances? You just have
too many variables.

You don't need chances,

Is that so? You don't care at all about how many phishig attempts remain
undetected?

you just need to know that the majority of people on the internet have
no clue what they're doing. This is true. Thus, it is likely that the
script will be run.

Phishers, however, don't tend to be among the (admittedly large) group
of people without a clue, so the script most likely won't be run in
exactly those situations it was made to detect.

You noticed the word "security" in this mailinglist's name? What
makes you think a measure of questionable reliability could possibly
count as a security measure?

If you read the original post, you would notice that the goal here is
to "be alerted" when a phishing attack occurs.

If you read my posts, you would notice that I strongly doubt that this
"alerting" is going to happen. For the reasons I outlined.

Regards
Ansgar Wiechers
--
"The Mac OS X kernel should never panic because, when it does, it
seriously inconveniences the user."