Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Anti-Phishing with digital watermarking

From: "Razi Shaban" <razishaban () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2008 00:03:30 +0400

On Fri, Sep 26, 2008 at 4:03 PM, Alcides <alcides.hercules () gmail com> wrote:
Hi All,

Recently came across some interesting text while reading about anti-phishing
techniques, that can be implemented server-side.
-----------------<snip>------------------------------------
If we insert something like obfuscated java-script in the original website
[which alerts us when run under any URL other than the authentic]
we can get alerted against these attacks.
-----------------<snip>------------------------------------

Wish to know more on the subjects. May be few sample codes. Googled around
quite a lot but it looks tough to find anything closer to practical
possibilities.
Any help, links, pointers including free/ commercial options all welcome.

Thanks a lot.

Cheers!

Simply POST the current URL ( window.location ) to a file on your
webserver that stores these in a database if it is not one of the
expected values (the if/else happens client-side in the obfuscated
javascript, not serverside) . This will, however, probably lead to a
significant overhead... However, if preventing phishing is important
to you then I guess you might want to implement it.

This is probably the clunkiest method available, but it's the best I
can think of off the top of my head :)

Hope it helps.

--
Razi Shaban