Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Upptime report tools?

From: "Randy Wyatt" <rwwyatt01 () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2008 14:26:27 -0600

 There is one common mistake that is being made in this email thread.
5 9's refers to unplanned downtime only.  0 commercial vendors will
sign any sort of service agreement for 5 9's  without having an
allowance for patching and multiple other maintenance activities.

 For any fairly mission critical application,  it is expected to have
at least an Active:Standby type configuration or Hot:standby if you
will.

Best Practice requires some sort of test environment before the
rolling out of any patches.  I have seen most of the respected
commercial vendors make huge mistakes in patches over the years.

 I have built systems that last years without unplanned downtime given
the constraints of no changes from the electrical company and all UPS
maintenance has been performed as per the schedule.  I have also had
systems that were guaranteed 5 9's that failed multiple times within
the first month.

I always have a burn-in period for new hardware/software,  and it
doesn't go live before it passes that burn-in period.

 In HP-UX and several other systems, there is a ruptime command  if
you allow r-commands.