Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Flash Drive Policy

From: "Steve Armstrong" <stevearmstrong () logicallysecure com>
Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2008 12:06:46 +0100

I mus ttake issue with your 2nd point as I believe the 'head in the sand' approach to USB devices is so 1990's. USB is used in most businesses and it will continue to increase with the demise of open network shares on Corp lans (aka the swap share) and the introduction of desktops to the Corp environment without ps/2 interfaces.

I agree that policy and appropriate software can reduce the risk from USB devices but that is not our call (security advisors) it's the risk owners - who in my experieance are some of those asking for them in the first place.

Steve Armstrong

Technical Security Director
Logically Secure

Tel. 01522 689799
Mob. 07970 929583

(sent from a mobile device, so please excuse any typos)