Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Terminal services

From: "Dante Signal31" <dante.signal31 () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2008 12:25:15 +0200

2008/10/1  <velzaf () hotmail com>:
Thanks to all of you guys for your answers, well we already thought in a stand alone solution, vmware could be a very
good > option, but the application use a dongle in a USB memory and it is located at the server and the proccess to
synchronize > the stand alone application is very difficult, furthermore it is a third party application, so we ruled
out that option, in the
other hand the application is not Web at all, it coul be implemented with some funtions but is not the interest of
the >enterpriese and the only one solution we saw is the use of Terminal Server.

Hi Fernando,

nowadays there is a lot of VPN-SSL platforms that offer Terminal
Servers sessions through Java Applets. So you have the security
provided by an VPN-SSL access (clients have no direct access to
Terminal Server) and the functionalities of TS sesions.

I've tested Juniper's SA and they can do what I've told you [1].
Besides Fortigate UTM firewalls have VPN-SSL capabilities with TS
support over Java Applets [2]. If you prefer open source options I've
heard about some of them but I have no direct experience with any.