Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Host-Base Firewall

From: Adriel Desautels <adriel () netragard com>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2008 11:03:26 -0400

All,
Firewalls are packet control devices. They do little more than control the flow of traffic into and out of your network. Some of them contain "defensive" capabilities such as IPS. Those defenses make decisions based on the nature of the traffic. Those decisions aren't as accurate as they should be because the very medium from which they are forming "opinions" is flawed. Traffic can be spoofed/forged/manipulated, so how can one trust it.

Security is more of a process than anything else. It is enforced by policies, procedures, and the people using technology. Security can not be found via hardware. This is a bit philosophical, but I can back this up if anyone doesn't understand my perspective.

Regards,
        Adriel T. Desautels
        Chief Technology Officer
        Netragard, LLC.
        Office : 617-934-0269
        Mobile : 617-633-3821
        http://www.linkedin.com/pub/1/118/a45

        Join the Netragard, LLC. Linked In Group:
        http://www.linkedin.com/e/gis/48683/0B98E1705142

Netragard, LLC - http://www.netragard.com  -  "We make IT Safe"
Penetration Testing, Vulnerability Assessments, Website Security

Netragard Whitepaper Downloads:
-------------------------------
Choosing the right provider : http://tinyurl.com/2ahk3j
Three Things you must know  : http://tinyurl.com/26pjsn

Murda Mcloud wrote:
Shouldn't that be Firewalls != Security

But (Firewalls + patching +...+ lots of other stuff) ~ Security (if not done
well) ;  or
(Firewalls + patching +...+ lots of other stuff) tends towards Security if
that is done well.

basics-return-49273 () securityfocus com
Subject: Re: Host-Base Firewall

Windows firewalls != security.

Regards,
        Adriel T. Desautels
        Chief Technology Officer
        Netragard, LLC.
        Office : 617-934-0269
        Mobile : 617-633-3821
        http://www.linkedin.com/pub/1/118/a45

        Join the Netragard, LLC. Linked In Group:
        http://www.linkedin.com/e/gis/48683/0B98E1705142

Netragard, LLC - http://www.netragard.com  -  "We make IT Safe"
Penetration Testing, Vulnerability Assessments, Website Security

Netragard Whitepaper Downloads:
Choosing the right provider : http://tinyurl.com/2ahk3j
Three Things you must know  : http://tinyurl.com/26pjsn

Mohamed Farid wrote:
I don't want to depend on Windows Firewalls ...
I need a 3rd party software ...

Yes we are using Windows on our laptops ( Windows 2000 )

Mohamed Farid ,CISSP,CCSP,S+
m.farid.shawara () gmail com