Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Host-Base Firewall

From: Adriel Desautels <adriel () netragard com>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 11:56:36 -0400

Certainly,
While hardware security solutions do serve a purpose and do defeat some attacks, they can not solve the human element problem or the evolution problem.

The human element problem is one where a human being makes the decision to trust something and as a result suffers a compromise. Social engineering attacks specifically exploit this trust issue. I don't know of any hardware appliance or software package that can defend against that attack successfully even 50% the time.

The evolution problem is the mathematical guarantee that very nearly all software will at some point contain an exploitable vulnerability. That is a guarantee because humans are fallible and unless software is mathematically proved to be secure then it isn't 100% secure, its created by humans. Hardware appliances are just computer systems that run software. They need to be maintained and patched just like everything else.

A while back our research team performed an assessment of several security appliances as a part of an R&D project. During that assessment we learned that security appliances are not maintained by the vendor as well as regular computer systems are maintained by IT staff.

Getting more specific. One of the appliances that we studied was one that was used to send secure email. A user would login to the appliance, write an email and click the send button. Then an email containing a URL would be sent to the recipient. The recipient would read the email by clicking on the URL and get redirected to an SSL based website where the actual message was located. The real message never left the server.

When we assessed the appliance technology we discovered that the libraries and software that were being used were on average 1-3 years old. We also found several known and exploitable vulnerabilities in those software packages. The vendor never released any fixes for those issues in any of their "updates". In fact, the vendor very rarely released any updates at all.

This risk of vulnerability is the same in all technologies regardless of what the technology is supposed to do. The only real way to protect against such a risk is with policies, procedures, and good training. You need to remember that you are not defending against technology, you are trying to protect yourself from a smart human enemy.

        Does that answer your question?

Regards,
        Adriel T. Desautels
        Chief Technology Officer
        Netragard, LLC.
        Office : 617-934-0269
        Mobile : 617-633-3821
        http://www.linkedin.com/pub/1/118/a45

        Join the Netragard, LLC. Linked In Group:
        http://www.linkedin.com/e/gis/48683/0B98E1705142

Netragard, LLC - http://www.netragard.com  -  "We make IT Safe"
Penetration Testing, Vulnerability Assessments, Website Security

Netragard Whitepaper Downloads:
Choosing the right provider : http://tinyurl.com/2ahk3j
Three Things you must know  : http://tinyurl.com/26pjsn