Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Wireless mouse basestation transmitting wired keystrokes ?

From: Chad Perrin <perrin () apotheon com>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 13:01:00 -0600

On Mon, May 26, 2008 at 04:24:26PM -0500, Sergio Castro wrote:
All sorts of electromagnetic emissions can be intercepted straight from
devices.
Check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TEMPEST

While true, that doesn't really answer the question.  The question was
whether the base unit for a wireless mouse/keyboard combination would
transmit keystrokes from a "wired" keyboard.

The answer might be "it depends", but unless there's something actually
wrong with the way the base unit's controlling software was designed,
this probably doesn't actually happen.  No reason for a wireless keyboard
base unit to broadcast keystroke data occurs to me at all, other than
design flaws.  To be certain, however, I guess you'd have to use an RF
receiver (assuming it's an RF wireless base unit) to capture any
emissions and examine them for the presence of keystroke data.

I tend to think it would be more likely that using a wireless keyboard
might involve broadcast of (unencrypted) keystroke data, since wireless
peripheral device manufacturers probably don't put nearly enough effort
into making sure your system is secure.  It is for this reason that,
while I may use a wireless mouse with a system where I'll be entering
passwords, I will *not* use a wireless keyboard with such a system at
this time.

OP is below: