Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: How to manage passwords of lots of server?

From: "7thangel" <7thangel () powernet co uk>
Date: Sat, 24 May 2008 12:19:42 GMT

hi list, best solution i've come across for this problem is
Cyber-Ark as it manages passwords across multiple platforms
and will also run on and across  VMware. well worth the look
www.cyber-ark.com
Regards
Paul B

MontyRee wrote:
Hello list..

Please share your valuable experience.

I  have operated thousands of linux and w2k servers in
the datacenter. So if I will change the admin(root)
password, actually it is impossible.. (because there are
so many servers..)
Mainly I use ssh at linux and terminal server at windows
server to remote login.
So is there any good method or solution to solve this
problem? How about radius? is it best solution at my
case? then, anyone who have used radius(free or
  commercial) well at this environment?

Radius is a great solution for this, IMO.  It is much
simpler than LDAP  for authentication (as LDAP is designed
to do much more).

Use PAM-radius for SSH and IAS for Microsoft.  Configure a
centralized  server and point the boxes to it.  If the
users are in AD, then use IAS.
  If the users are in ldap, then look at freeradius.
Radius will also  proxy to other radius servers, which you
will need it you want to do  two-factor authentication
down the road.

HTH,

Nick

--