Security Basics mailing list archives

all-in-one vs one-on-each (feat. Comercial vs FOSS)

From: Alex <alex.tsr () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 24 May 2008 16:02:41 +0300

Hello list,

I would like some opinions, again.
For a fixed budget would you go for
 * an all-in-one "Firewall" ( FW+IPS+VPN+...) ie. Checkpoint,
 * a dedicated, known and expensive firewall/gateway with the company of
an Open Source solution for IPS, URL filtering etc?
 * a full Open Source solution (iptables,snort,ossec,squid etc) and
spend the money elsewhere :)

The things that concern me are,

Redundancy. I can live without IPS for a while but not without Internet
( and by "I" I mean "The Company")
Scalability. Not only performance-wise but cost-wise too. I think that
having to pay for every "extra feature" is going to lead to Open Source
anyway...
Complexity. Better to manage one than more, right?...

Any opinion appreciated!

Cheers, Alex.