Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: all-in-one vs one-on-each (feat. Comercial vs FOSS)

From: "Mike Hale" <eyeronic.design () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 25 May 2008 11:56:01 -0700

One additional thing you need to look at is the ongoing cost.  Sure,
the snort software is free with an additional charge for the
subscription, if you need it.  But you also need ot factor in the cost
of the Snort admin.  Snort can generate a lot of alerts, and it
wouldn't hurt to write custom rules based on your environment.  How
much is your time worth?

I like using different programs/devices for different things.  It
keeps things clearer and cleaner in my network.  I'd say get a good
quality enterprise firewall, and invest in the training to configure
it properly.  After the firewall, set up a snort sensor, and again,
invest the time and money to do it properly.  An IPS can be a powerful
tool, but I'd get the firewall and IDS first.

You may also want to consider scattering a few snort sensors
throughout the network.  That way, Snort can catch traffic that never
passes through your external routers.