Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Denied the CISSP, what are oher options

From: Jason <securitux () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 23 May 2008 14:50:19 -0400

Hi Erika, experience actually does count for a lot. As someone who
does help employ security professionals I am far more interested in
experience than how many letters people tattoo after their name. All
you need is that interview to show that experience. The problem is
that companies often look for these certs and then do the interview,
then find out after they got people who exam cram and get the letters
but turn out to be 1/10 of what they expected. Unfortunately that's
more the rule than the exception. I could go on a tyraid but I won't
in the interest of brevity :)

I would call ISC2 like others suggested, I don't know the
circumstances of your situation but browsing facebook at the company
might be an ethics violation to THEM but it falls more under policy
violation (if the policy was even written down) than ethics. I
honestly don't think ISC2 will care.

Failing that I would say apply anyway. The worst they can do is not
interview you, which is where you're at anyhow. They might notice your
experience and say 'well, no CISSP but has excellent knowledge and
experience' and you get your interview.

FYI I have all 3: CISSP, CISA, and CEH. CISA would be worth your time
for sure. CEH is supposedly improved from when I took it (thank god)
so it might be worth a shot as well, if pen testing is of interest to
you.

I have a few SANS ones and they are by far the best in my opinion.
Gold level where you have to do a practical weeds out the exam
crammers and keeps the certification valuable.

-J

On 22 May 2008 23:49:17 -0000, Erika_cissp () yahoo com