Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Firewall Logging question?

From: "Rivest, Philippe" <Rivestp () metro ca>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2008 13:34:24 -0400

I would find it very interesting to know when an access was allowed to a critical ressource if i know that in a near
future of that authorization the ressource was used and caused damage.

If i only get the deny logs, how will i answer the "when was the access authorised?". I would also use the same
retention time frame as the deny logs as they are both as valid in the investigation of access. Also, having the accept
being log would allow you to build up a database of access that you could pipe thru a IDS someday stating that it is
normal that at 14:30 a user X access a asset Y since it has been doing so (accept/permit) for over 6month.

The thing with deny is that they are valid only if you can prove that no "accept" were done afterwards/before.

Merci

Philippe Rivest, Certified Ethical Hacker

Analyste en sécurité de l'information

Métro Richelieu

450-662-3300x3115

►Avant d'imprimer, demandez-vous si c'est nécessaire!

►Before printing, ask yourself if you really need to!