Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Masters in Information Security/Assurance

From: krymson () gmail com
Date: 13 May 2008 17:37:44 -0000

I know ISU also has an Information Assurance certificate. Basically this consists of something like 4 graduate level
courses that can be taken remote. After passing, you can get the certificate. This can then be carried over into the
grad program in IA or just kept alone. It's not a Master's, but can still be a useful goal.

Otherwise, I think they really prefer people to be physically able to attend some classes.

<- snip ->
I know with Dakota State University's MSIA program it does not make a
difference if you are on campus or not as when the instructors deliver
lectures the students have 3 options; they can be in the classroom, they
can be in a remote classroom via videoconferencing, or they can watch
the lecture online at their convenience. All students get the same
assignments and lectures, the only negative of being an online student
is having to call or e-mail when you have questions. In order to assist
with that the instructors moderate message boards for all students and
require them to contribute. They also facilitate group projects between
distance and conventional students. Labs are setup to be done remotely
as well.

I would be surprised if Iowa State does not deliver their MSIA program
in a similar fashion.

-Brandon