Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: DNSs, MXs and RBLs....

From: Santiago Barahona <sant-bar () dsv su se>
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2008 15:39:14 +0100

Hi all,

First of all, many thanks for taking some of your time to help me...
Second, we are not in the business of spamming people... or at least I hope we're not... =) Third, I know if the mail servers of the company I work for have been or not blacklisted, I'm new...

Let me put this as clear and simple as possible:

1. There are two DNSs controlled by different entities and one mail server: DNS-A, DNS-B and Mail-B (being DNS-A owned by co.A and DNS-B and Mail-B owned by co.B.) 2. The mail server will start sending and receiving mails on behalf of co.A 3. To do this, the IT guys in co.B say the records in DNS-A from [co- a.com IN MX mail.co-a.com] to [co-a.com IN MX mail.co-b.com]
so when someone tries to reach co-a.com to send an email it will be redirected to the mail servers in co.B...

I was wondering, if an anti-spam solution (RBLd, DNBL....) before blacklisting an IP it may do some tests to verify it is spamming IP... would this type of configuration be perceived as such?

Thanks again,

Santiago