Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: How does a customer get PCI audited?

From: "Hill, Pete" <Pete.Hill () sit-up tv>
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2008 16:41:33 +0100

Their merchant level will dictate how often they need to be audited and
what flavour that audit will be.  The merchant level is determined by
the number of credit card transactions they process on a yearly basis.

Ultimately, Visa require all of their member banks to be compliant with
PCI DSS.  In turn, acquiring banks are responsible for making sure the
merchants they represent are compliant with PCI DSS.

Check out the PCI Security Standards Council (PCI SSC) for a wealth of
useful documents and guidelines re: PCI DSS, as well as a useful self
assessment document that you could use to add weight to your
conversations with your company.

Other useful links can be found on Visa's website.  This is a good
starting place:

http://www.visaeurope.com/documents/ais/merchants_guide.pdf?d=121207

Hope that helps, and sorry for not going into too much detail - Im
currently working myself to death in order to be ready for our first
audit!  :o)

Pete Hill
IS Security Manager
Sit-Up TV