Security Basics mailing list archives

Pen tested ... Compliant???

From: Craig Wright <Craig.Wright () bdo com au>
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2008 06:15:03 +1000

"This is untrue. I've seen many *compliant* systems be compromised by
exploits that targeted unknown vulnerabilities."

Well you have seen systems perceived to be compliant taken down, this does not make it compliant. Passing an audit is
not being compliant. What other controls are in place? Having a patched system does not mean it is compliant.

Compliance and the perception thereof as well as the same for security are different. Yes it would be great if they are
the same, but they are not. The same goes for metrics.

Compliance IS defined. It is a term of legal art. Compliance means that you meet or Exceed ALL requirements that are
imposed. 80% there is not compliant. Few systems are compliant. Many non-compliant systems pass audit. In my role as an
audit manager I suffer extreme pressure to pass non-compliant systems. Many cave into this pressure, esp. when the
chance of being discovered is low.

"Craig, can you define the difference between a Penetration Test, Vulnerability Assessment, and an Audit for me?"
Please read my papers, Buy a book, or similar. I have detailed this in several published papers and have a taxonomy in
the SANS RR.
http://www.sans.org/reading_room/whitepapers/auditing/1801.php

This is not based on opinion, it is based on quantification and scientific testing. There has also been subsequent
research that has validated my view. I say things when they have been tested and I can state them with data that is
supported with a minimum 99% CI.

Regards,
Craig

Craig Wright
Manager, Risk Advisory Services

Direct : +61 2 9286 5497
Craig.Wright () bdo com au
+61 417 683 914

BDO Kendalls (NSW-VIC) Pty. Ltd.
Level 19, 2 Market Street Sydney NSW 2000
GPO BOX 2551 Sydney NSW 2001
Fax +61 2 9993 9497
http://www.bdo.com.au/

The information in this email and any attachments is confidential. If you are not the named addressee you must not
read, print, copy, distribute, or use in any way this transmission or any information it contains. If you have received
this message in error, please notify the sender by return email, destroy all copies and delete it from your system.

Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender and not necessarily endorsed by BDO Kendalls.
You may not rely on this message as advice unless subsequently confirmed by fax or letter signed by a Partner or
Director of BDO Kendalls. It is your responsibility to scan this communication and any files attached for computer
viruses and other defects. BDO Kendalls does not accept liability for any loss or damage however caused which may
result from this communication or any files attached. A full version of the BDO Kendalls disclaimer, and our Privacy
statement, can be found on the BDO Kendalls website at http://www.bdo.com.au/ or by emailing mailto:administrator ()
bdo com au.

BDO Kendalls is a national association of separate partnerships and entities. Liability limited by a scheme approved
under Professional Standards Legislation.