Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: How does a customer get PCI audited?

From: "Scott Race" <srace () jdaarch com>
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2008 14:40:26 -0700

So, does this mean that a Tier 3 or 4 really won't get a random audit
under current laws?  My customer is definitely a Tier 3 or 4, she does
about 300 transactions a year.

The answer to this is really my main question, because I'd like to be
able to tell the customer "You could get a phone call tomorrow and get
audited", or "No, you won't get a phone call tomorrow, but if there was
ever any security breach, your entire business would be at risk".

I don't want to scare her and say she could get a knock on the door when
she won't because of her merchant level.

Ultimately my goal is to secure her system, regardless, but I just want
to be able to accurately let her know the risks involved in not becoming
complaint.

Thanks again.

~Scott Race