Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Forensic Tool

From: Adam Pal <pal_adam () gmx net>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 23:06:17 +0200

Hello newnewguy,

(nice name *G*)
Well, lets asume
case a)  data has been sent via email to another
location, in this case you can evaluate the logs to get some info.

case b) data has been copyed to another device. In this case, i would
say that you can only see if a device was being attached by reading
windows logs, but i`m not sure how long this information is being kept
by the system.

What you cannot see in case B will be what files have been copyed.
Basicaly, case a could eventualy be an argument in front of the court,
but assumptions as case b or others wont.

The point is, a copy means reading access on original file and writing
access on target file. You can eventualy see in the metadata when the
last reading access ocured, but this doesnt necessarily mean that the
file was copyed to external, there is a multitude of processes which
can cause a reading access.
I hope you can have a better perspective on the problem.
I wish you good luck!

--
Best regards,
 Adam Pal