Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Forensic Tool

From: "Shreyas Zare" <shreyas () technitium com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 11:10:51 +0530

Hi,

Clearly, your company has to take strict action against the employee.
The files that were deleted from her laptop can be easily recovered by
any off-the-shelf file recovery software. It would not be possible to
find out if she had copied the data onto any media very easily. Her
laptop must be seized immediately and copies of the hard drive (image)
must be created for further investigation. Use file recovery software
to get deleted documents on her laptop to find clues if she had
deleted some other info regarding this incident. If she had enough
time, it is possible she would have e-mailed the files to someone
else, so just deleting the mails in her yahoo & hotmail a/c wont solve
the matter. Investigate contacts in the email account address book.

Regards,