Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Logging

From: securek9 <securek9 () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 08:43:08 -0500

Are you wanting to purchase or use free products? If you have the money, as it is expensive but worth it for large environments, the Activeworx product from Crosstech is an excellent product. You can capture logs for all types of devices right into a database or databases and it also has nice reporting for Sox related issues amongst others. They also offer a nice correlation engine you can purchase with it to correlate attacks. I think you can trial it for 15 days or so. The only drawbacks is that it only runs on Windows Server and it is a challenge to set up, but once up it is really nice.

If you want free, splunk is just ok for viewing logs (not very nice to look at), or look into adventnet products. They offer free for small offices. I dont think prices are bad for larger environments either. You can also always go with syslog-ng to capture and sort log information centrally then view with free splunk or some other log viewer.

Hope that helps a little!

infolookup () gmail com wrote:
I am interested in seeing some feed back on this topic, cause I am looking into doing this too.
Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile