Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: SSL VPN

From: Albert Gonzalez <albertg () cerveau us>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2008 22:37:52 -0600

Lauren,

In order for the client to be able to communicate with machines on the internal network, it as well has to have an IP from the company. SSL VPN's in my experience usually create a TUN/TAP device and tunnel are your traffic through it. Your client will receive (usually via dhcp) an IP within your endpoint.

Kartik,

I personally like the SSL solutions that allow you to provide thin clients for the main applications the majority of your users use on a day to day basis.... s3270, Mail, Web, etc.... That way you won't have to provide remote desktop capabilities to the users and/or have pieces of software scattered everywhere. I run my SSL VPN through my ASA at home, but I don't notice the cpu utilization as my implementation is small. I have seen many folks implement openvpn and loving it.

Hope that helps.

- Albert

Malhoit, Lauren wrote:
Question about the SSL VPN implementation...I know that with traditional
VPN's you end up taking an IP from the company.  When you are using SSL
VPN, do you keep your own IP from your ISP or do you still pick one up
from the company?