Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Helpdesk and monitor software

From: PCSC Information Services <info () pcsage biz>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2008 19:56:58 -0500

Hi James,

The majority of systems that I work with are BSD based so I use cron, with a couple of scripts for updates ( portsnap, cvsup, pkg_version | grep "<", portupgrade -arR etc. )

To be frugal, on Windows Systems I've been using MBSA which checks the latest patches for Microsoft products, you can also scan a range of machines on a schedule using this great tool, I like to save my budget money for hardware where possible (oh and perks for techs that work hard! ;) ) . Software is a dead loss imco.

On Mac networks that I oversee I use the servers centralized Software Update daemon, and as all of the Macs are usually 'managed' you can set them up to 'automagically' download software updates nightly.

If you are in a production environment that is 'touchy' (i.e. legacy software, legacy hardware, or OS) I'd advise having a test lab to properly regression test any patches that are made available before a wide scale roll-out.

Each environment is unique, and computers (often even in the same system family) do not always behave the same with patching. From my experience there is no cut and dry solution, and it's not something that you can 'really' automate in most cases as you may find accounting all has a different firmware for example...

There can be no substitute for constant vigilance and good team communication :)

Sean Swayze