Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: PI to do Forensics? WAS: Re: Two questions

From: "Jon R. Kibler" <Jon.Kibler () aset com>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2008 17:17:09 -0500

Scott Moulton wrote:
That was the old laws, I am not sure that is the new current law in SC.
I understand the new law to state specifically "Digital Investigations".
Here is the Georgia introduction that is getting introduced everywhere.
It passed but we yelled a lot and it got vetoed. But I have been told
they will try again this year. Notice the " any type of digital or
electronic information"

"(3) 'Private detective business' means providing or accepting
employment to provide protection of individuals from death or serious
bodily harm or the business of obtaining or furnishing, or accepting
employment to obtain or to furnish, information, including but not
limited to any type of digital or electronic information, with reference
to:

http://www.legis.ga.gov/legis/2007_08/fulltext/hb504.htm

Scott:

What I quoted was from the laws passed in the last
SC legislative session (ending 6/2007).

I just did a search of all legislation pending or
passed this session. I also went back and searched
current laws again.

Specifically, I searched for all laws that included
any of the following words:
   digital
   computer
   network
   forensics

I also specifically searched for 'digital
investigation(s)'. Here is the search link
I used:
        http://www.scstatehouse.net/
(From having worked with the legislature in the
past, I can be certain that the information
searched is current within a week.)

I did not find anything that was more recent or
relative than above.

If you have any additional information or resources,
PLEASE let me know!

THANKS!
Jon Kibler
--