Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: CISSP Examination Practices ?

From: "Yousef Syed" <yousef.syed () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2008 17:27:04 +0100

It is natural to be a little worried.
It is a difficult exam and they don't give out the certificate for the
fun of it.

What I found to be most useful (along with practice questions etc) was
to practice exam technique and learn to recognise what constitutes a
"Good Answer".
1. Read the Question very carefully.
2. Of the choices in the answer, it is usually (*not always*) clear
that a couple of the answers are totally wrong.
3. Of the remaining two answers, look for the the answer that BEST or
most fully answers the question. Often both will be correct, but one
answers the questions in a more complete manner.
4. Circle your guesses - sometimes you'll find the answer as part of
another question.
5. Remember that the CISSP is a MANAGEMENT Certification. So when
answering questions, imagine you are a Manager. As a manager you are
primarily motivated by money. Other consideration is Policy, and the
safety of your personel. So there isn't much need to get yourself
bogged down in too much of the technical details - just ensure you
understand the concepts: Different Encryption methods (method,
strengths, weaknesses, usage), The difference between Encryption and
Hashing, Different Network protocols, Different DoS attack methods
etc... But you don't need to know how to code your own Hash function,
or how to how to install a CCTV system - just know how it is used.

With the exception of Point 5, all the other points are standard
practice for any multiple choice exam.
Other than the odd mickey-mouse certification, the last time I took an
exam was over 10years earlier so I found practicing the examination
technique side of things most useful.
So long as you have the right level of experience under your belt, you
should do fine.

When doing practice questions, (something I noticed on CCCURE) is that
some have been written poorly (not something that happens on the real
thing) and some even have incorrect answers!

Also, note that it is very normal to think that you've failed after
sitting the paper. :-)

ys