Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Auditing Active Directory Passwords

From: "li bo" <libo.swust () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2008 18:40:21 +0800

HI,
As I know, ophcrack is pretty good for crack the SAM dump that is
gotten by PWDUMP.

Bo

On 08/02/2008, Uzair Hashmi <uzair () kse com pk> wrote:

Yes, cracking SAM on windows is all you need for your particular task.

ntds.dit Consists of schema table, Link table, and Data table.

If you need to know the details associated to individual users, like rights,
access levels etc. you need to access the data table only. That can be done
remotely by LDAPAdmin, or some alternate tool.

Say for a particular user; the Data Table in the ntds.dit has an entry known
as SAMAccountName which represents that individual username stored in the
SAM.

Active Directory is not an authentication system, rather consider it as a
simple Directory which has references to resources placed in certain objects
of "windows" system.

Hope this clears all the confusions.

Best Regards,
Uzair