Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Different AV Prouducts

From: Isaac Perez Moncho <isaac.perez.moncho () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2008 21:50:02 +0100

I would suggest nod32 or smart security from eset.
The performance is really good, it detects a lot of virus. You can check it's detection rate at :
http://www.av-comparatives.org/

The centralized management console is powerful and easy to use. I found really easy to install and configure the clients from the console or off line.

The only problem is that smart security has the firewall and the antispyware, as other firewall software it takes a bit of time to configure it and get it working properly. And maybe some users don't have the knowledge to do it.

We moved out from sophos for some reasons, as the detection rate for nod32 is higher, we were not using centralized management with it, eset has antispyware and firewall in a single product and it was less than half the price (not the most important thing, but you have a better product for less money, which can be invested in other security measures).
Definitively eset products will detect more than symantec.

And if choose this one, be careful implementing a host firewall in the servers. You can loose remote access after the installation.

Hope that helps

En/na pthroumoulos () rochester rr com ha escrit:
Hello,

I was wondering if anybody could provide me with any positive information about switching from Symantec Corporate
Edition (10.1.4.4000) to any other AV products. I have looked at a couple different solutions but am by no means a
security guru and would appreciate any feedback I could get that would help persuade me to switch to a different
solution. The two other products that I am considering are Kaspersky or Sophos. Reason I picked these two is that I
have seen quite a few emails bounced back and forth about the quality of both of these products compared to Symantec.
Obviously all AV products are going to be better at certain things than others such as detection and removal. All I am
looking for is a product that I can implement on about 180+ clients and about 30 servers that will be easily managed
and not have too large of a foot print and I do not want to have to visit every client to remove the old AV before
deploying the new solution.
One of the reasons I would like to switch from Symantec to another product is that just recently I had to deal with
their tech support for an issue we were experiencing on our clients. My experience with tech support has left me very
jaded as it took them almost three weeks to figure out the problem.
The issue we were experiencing was when a user would log into their desktop explorer.exe would not load and they would only see
their wallpaper (All dell machines) The solution to the issue was to turn of "tamper protection"
on all the clients, though this did solve the issue I am still a little concerned about the fact that you need to turn
off any component of any AV product. I also feel like Symantec does not do the best job at detection of other types of
malware besides viruses. Several times this year I had several infected clients that I had to rebuild because Symantec
did not detect the issues till it was too late to do anything. If anybody could point me in the right direction to
getting more info on a better AV solution than Symantec I would greatly appreciate it.