Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: VMware ESX

From: "Robert Taylor" <rgt () wi mit edu>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 17:45:06 -0400

While it sounds like a compelling thing to do sometimes, I personally
think it's a bad idea. You need to ask youself why are the machines in
the DMZ in the first place. I'm assuming,

1. To help keep them from being compromised.
2. To limit access if they get compromised.

If hackers can compromise and then somehow break out of the virtual
machine, they may be able to then connect to an internal network, or
compromise some of the other VM's on the ESX box.

Also, they recommend installing vmware-tools on VM's in esx, which
uses some side-channel communication between the VM and esx server.
Find a way to compromise that, and you could possibly control the esx
server itself.

Esx isn't bulletproof. It's really a stripped down and highly tweaked
linux, but it has security flaws as well. You need to keep it patched
along with the OS's that run on it. If there is a bug in the NIC
drivers on esx, that has potential to compromise the whole machine.

If you are using a san backend, if the esx box is compromised, hackers
may have access to san resources as well.

If you are intent on using ESX, I would setup a entirely separate
environment for dmz servers. I just think there are too many places
where things can go bad.

rgt