Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Firewall rulebase audit

From: c0unter14 <c0unter14 () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2007 14:48:42 -0500

I've been doing quite a few firewall reviews myself for my clients and believe that tools can be useful only to some
extent. Usually tools check for a set of design criterion which not necessarily hold true for all rule bases. For  e.g.
some tools check for presence of "clean-up rule" which is the ip deny any any at the end of each rule base. The
presence of the clean up rule is not a necessity and in case where the traffic flow has been defined by restricted to
few strict no-no sites, allowed to everything else, this rule won't apply. This was just an example, there are a lot of
other aspects wherein tools are not the best option for evaluating the security posture of a firewall. To my opinion,
the firewall rulebase should be inspected on what traffic is allowed to where with the aim of finding any un-wanted
exemptions in the rule base. The tools mentioned earlier would be an excellent source for strictly "documenting" what
you have in the firewall however I would leave the audit to manual checking of the rule base. Having said that, some
good tools will surely give you an idea of missing security baselines (if any) in the firewall rulebases. My favourites
are nipper and firemon.

 Personally i would check for the following
 - disable telnet, allow only SSH
 - check for IPs being allowed administrative access to the firewall
 - check for any unwanted local accounts (username/pwd)
 -ip deny any any at the end of each rulebase (again depends on the logical flow of traffic)
 - disable any unwanted incoming traffic "allows" (depends on what applications you have running behind the firewall)
 - do not use "allow any any" for outgoing traffic. There should always be some control on outgoing traffic
 - any protocol access to an internal destination is usually not recommended
 - typically a DMZ should not be allowed to talk to internal hosts unless it is a necessity

 These are my 2 cents !