Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Firewall rulebase audit

From: "Nikhil Wagholikar" <visitnikhil () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2007 09:46:14 +0530

Hi JCTX,

There is a tool developed by NII Consulting dedicatedly for Firewall
Rule-base Analysis called "FireSec".

FireSec - Firewall Rule base Analysis Tool

FireSec features:

1. Simplified Analysis of Large Rule sets.
2. Removes redundancies.
3. Compares rule sets.
4. Groups common rules
5. Searches for vulnerable rule patterns.
6. Analyzes security.
7. Generates commands to clean up the configuration.
8. HTML report generation.

Solution from FireSec:

FireSec automates the analysis process, and use a multi-pronged
approach to rationalize the rule base to the maximum extent possible
with the help of:

a)  Traffic analysis to determine rules which have not been used

b)  Rules analysis to determine Redundant rules, Shadow rules, Group(able) rules

c)  Configuration analysis to determine objects which can be dropped.

Security analysis can also be automated by formalizing the
configuration and searching for vulnerable rule patterns or critical
hosts or port ranges

Supported Firewalls:

1. Cisco PIX
2. NetScreen