Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Web filter recommendations request: moderate price with good CGI/PHP proxy filtering

From: "Boaz Shunami" <BoazS () comsecglobal com>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2007 08:31:09 +0200

Hi Andrew,

I don't have any specific recommendation for you however from my
aquintance with this family of products, most of them, perform url
filtering using some blacklist.

What they really should do is perform content filtering based on the
information recieved from the server rather then the url list.

Currently you can bypass most of these products utilizing a web proxy,
needless to say, proxies are abundant on the WWW and each day you have
new ones  from all over the world so its practically impossible to keep
track of all of them.

Its a tough problem and I believe that some vendors are on it now trying
to provide a solution (and if not then here's your chance... :-)).

Best Regards,

Boaz Shunami

Senior Security Consultant

Comsec Consulting

Andrew Stewart wrote:
Currently the company I work for currently uses DansGuardian
<http://dansguardian.org/> for our web content filtering, but we are
having a problem with people using CGI/PHP proxies (such as the ones
below) to bypass it.  Websense <http://www.websense.com> seems to be
the gold standard in content filtering, but the price on it would
really hit our budget hard.  Does anyone here have something cheaper
that I should take a look at?

Here are some of the CGI/PHP proxies we have discovered users
utilizing to bypass our content filtering:
<http://56st.com>
<http://www.proxysf.com>
<http://blackip.info>

-aws