Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Remote monitoring

From: "Holtz,Robert" <Robert.Holtz () edwardjones com>
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2007 11:57:39 -0600

If you're looking to monitor workstation to server activity you can use
the built in network monitor that comes with Windows.  Run it on the
server to watch and filter on the workstation you want to monitor.

To watch all traffic from a given workstation you will want to somehow
monitor their switch port.  This capability will depend heavily on what
types of switches you have in place.  You would forward a copy of all of
their port traffic to a "monitor" port that has a sniffer hooked to it.

 If you are not the intended recipient of this message (including attachments), or if you have received this message in
error, immediately notify us and delete it and any attachments.  If you no longer wish to receive e-mail from Edward
Jones, please send this request to messages () edwardjones com.  You must include the e-mail address that you wish not
to receive e-mail communications.  For important additional information related to this e-mail, visit
www.edwardjones.com/US_email_disclosure