Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: FW: Securing workstations from IT guys

From: Eric White <ewhite () ssc wisc edu>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2007 10:26:36 -0600

I'm not sure this this illegal in the U.S.  I believe the company owns the
assets (PC, network, phones, servers, etc), and can monitor them as they see
fit.  You can argue the ethics of such a thing, but I don't see how it's
illegal.

If an employer states something along the lines of "all company property if
for authorized use only and all use of property may be monitored and logged"
and I agree to this policy (either by signing paperwork when I'm hired or by
clicking through this message when I login), I shouldn't be surprised when
my actions are in fact monitored, should I?

--
Eric White