Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Securing workstations from IT guys

From: "Michael R. Martinez" <mike () security-bounce com>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 23:11:03 +0000

There has got to be a better way than taking an investigation out on all employees. Have you identified any IP
addresses that are creeping on your clipping levels, what exactly are you trying to do? Do you feel corporate espionage
is occuring? There are so many ways to catch someone doing the wrong thing, but don't you feel that ultimately if end
users are doing the wrong thing that it is up to you as the security guy to put in place the appropriate controls and
preventitive measures to prevent this. In my opinion this is going to be far to time consuming wasting good time like
this when proper planning and controls could have been put in place. This I wouldn't even consider because there are
many laws that protect employees from this behavior. In one case the judge ruled that employees do have rights to
privacy and an employer should let employees know that their systems are monitored and that the employee agrees to
those terms of privacy being revoked, smyth v. Pillsbury. Just my two cents!
Michael R. Martinez
TF: 800-987-7307