Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Attacking a machine on network.

From: "Murda Mcloud" <murdamcloud () bigpond com>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2007 10:07:00 +1000

It's one of those problems that some of the smartest(smarter than me
anyway!) haven't managed to come up with a surefire way of preventing. Why?
Because you want people to go to your site-but you want to differentiate
between good traffic and bad traffic. How do you do that? What kind of
'filters' do you setup? How far out from your perimeter can you tell it is
bad traffic? How much redundancy can you build into your sites? Like you
said-it starts to get costly.
Look at what happened to Blue Frog when they tried to 'attack' the
attackers/spammers. Google it-it is a very fascinating case.
And with it being 'distributed' it's even worse now-why, because they can
'move' the zombies around so well-so much control and they can change where
the attack is originating from. It's like playing Command and Conquer-you
know, when you've got three or four mini armies built up and you can send
them in waves from different directions. (My analogies get worse as I get
older).