Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Disclosure of vulns and its legal aspects...

From: "Craig Wright" <Craig.Wright () bdo com au>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2007 08:20:05 +1000

Please take a littler time to think about your statement.

First, if we allow people to scan and test sites without permission,
then there is an automatic "get out of goal free card" for all
attackers. Just say "sorry officer, I was just testing the security at
the bank for their own good".

Vigilantees are not nice friendly and helpful people. They are people
who break the law - it is all rather simple. I do not want to have
people going about the streets checking to ensure that I have locked my
silver cabinet after first breaking down the door (as it is not solid 6"
oak with 10 layers of dead-lock). Likewise, I do not want to have people
thinking that they are offering some type of service "testing" systems
without permission.

At best they make a determination of the "real" attackers more
difficult. At worst, where do you draw the line. They have attacked but
did not get into the site in a manner to do any real damage - so they
must just be doing good?

"Good Samaritan" - Bah! If the person is truly a "good Samaritan" as you
feel than why they are not doing this officially. There are numerous
charities, non-profits, start-ups, etc that need services and can not
afford them. A "good Samaritan" is one who offers a valid service to
something such as this without doing it for the publicity - and they
offer it Pro Bono.

They ask first. They get permission.

People who assume that they have a right to do what they want, do this
by assuming the rights of others.

In contradiction to the belief of many on the list, people have a right
to be stupid and live in ignorance. I may not like this, but it is a
fundamental tenant of freedom. To have freedom means the right to be
daft. The right to be daft means the right to have an insecure site.
They will learn eventually.

Regards,
Craig

Craig Wright
Manager of Information Systems

Direct : +61 2 9286 5497
Craig.Wright () bdo com au
+61 417 683 914

BDO Kendalls (NSW)
Level 19, 2 Market Street Sydney NSW 2000
GPO BOX 2551 Sydney NSW 2001
Fax +61 2 9993 9497
www.bdo.com.au

Liability limited by a scheme approved under Professional Standards Legislation in respect of matters arising within
those States and Territories of Australia where such legislation exists.

The information in this email and any attachments is confidential.  If you are not the named addressee you must not
read, print, copy, distribute, or use in any way this transmission or any information it contains.  If you have
received this message in error, please notify the sender by return email, destroy all copies and delete it from your
system.

Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender and not necessarily endorsed by BDO Kendalls.
You may not rely on this message as advice unless subsequently confirmed by fax or letter signed by a Partner or
Director of BDO Kendalls.  It is your responsibility to scan this communication and any files attached for computer
viruses and other defects.  BDO Kendalls does not accept liability for any loss or damage however caused which may
result from this communication or any files attached.  A full version of the BDO Kendalls disclaimer, and our Privacy
statement, can be found on the BDO Kendalls website at http://www.bdo.com.au or by emailing administrator () bdo com au.

BDO Kendalls is a national association of separate partnerships and entities.