Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Managed switches outside firewalls?

From: "Kenneth Klinzman" <kklinzman () tektegrity com>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2007 16:49:36 -0700

Some of the managed switches I have worked with make it possible to turn
off management of the switch on certain ports.  So if you have your
router connected to a certain port you can turn off management of that
switch for all ports but the one that comes from inside your network.
Or if you have a internet drop in one of the ports make sure to disable
management from that port and allow it from others.  That is how a few
of our public IP managed switches are setup and has been successful so
far.