Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Managed switches outside firewalls?

From: "Dean Davis" <Dean.Davis () mbg-inc com>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2007 12:47:55 -0400

Hari:

Consider one of the following approaches:
 1. Use VLANs to separate the management traffic from the Internet traffic
  a. VLAN1 for management
  b. VLAN2 for Internet traffic
 2. Manage your external switches via their console ports, by connecting them to a trusted Linux | Unix box's serial
ports, in the management VLAN. You would then access your external switches, indirectly, via the Linux | Unix boxes
parked in the management VLAN.

Also, if possible, enable SSHv2 on those external switches, to further enhance security.

Regards,
Dean Davis, CISSP,RHCE,CCSP,MCSE,MCDBA,CCNA,Linux+
Sr. Network Engineer
MBG Expense Management, LLC
https://www.mbg-inc.com