Security Basics mailing list archives

Managed switches outside firewalls?

From: Hari Sekhon <hpsekhon () googlemail com>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2007 09:57:22 +0100

Hi,

I need to get some new switches outside of my firewalls, which means that they will have publicly accessible IPs if they are manageable switches.

I'm not quite sure what security stance to take on this. I know I can restrict the management interface to certain IPs, but I'm still not sure if this is asking for trouble to have switches will accessible IPs. Perhaps I should use a dumb switch and forgo any management features...

Do any of you guys have policies for this (like unmanaged switches outside firewalls and managed ones inside)?

Any thoughts and suggestions welcome.

-h

--
Hari Sekhon