Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: CISSP Question

From: "Craig Wright" <Craig.Wright () bdo com au>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 05:39:54 +1000

I have to state that I can see no way that you could have ever run your own company. If you have, I am amazed. You have
no comprehension of finance. The first thing you need to do is look at the members financial statement.

ISC2 has audited accounts. They do not hide their finances.

However, even if your assumptions where even in the ballpark mathematically with the assumptions that have all people
being charged the same at all times in all countries, the amounts are nothing great. You are assuming they are 'greedy'
for making $24 million over 17 years. I have known local fish and chip shops that make $5-6 million pa gross.

I know individual consultants and professionals who gross over $3milion pa. You are assuming that:
1 A million dollars (gross) is a huge sum of money
2 That personal references to funds reflect business and the world.

Please that the time to read the financial statement of one of these organisations. You are all too happy to sit here
and categorically announce that they are all doing it for greed. Before you blast everyone for all that they are doing,
please - PLEASE show us all a little respect by taking a few minutes to read a financial statement and please base your
rant on some facts.

ISC2 has audited accounts. They have nothing to hide and they do not make a hell of a lot as you suspect. I think that
if you took the time to demonstrate a level of professionalism in reading what they do and where they spend their money
that you might not be stating the same things. All that matters is Net funds.

You are right. I am busy and I have tried to help you understand things, but I do not intend to do this if you will not
open your eyes. Again I state, look at the financial statement and stop making assumptions when the information is
there!

As I stated earlier, $500 is petty cash in the scheme of things. I would suggest that you take the time to think this
through. Look at the income and earning potentials sans and with certification and you will quickly note the value.
Please compare this to a $20-30k post grad degree and you will note that the cert offers more "bang for the buck"

Again, and before you rant on how much we are being taken to the cleaners by greedy capitalist dogs, take the time to
show us that you can use rational judgement and read the financial statements of one of the organisations that you are
lambasting.

Regards,
Craig

PS - many CISSPs have also CAP and SSCP's...

Craig Wright
Manager of Information Systems

Direct +61 2 9286 5497
Craig.Wright () bdo com au
+61 417 683 914

BDO Kendalls (NSW)
Level 19, 2 Market Street Sydney NSW 2000
GPO BOX 2551 Sydney NSW 2001
Fax +61 2 9993 9497
www.bdo.com.au

Liability limited by a scheme approved under Professional Standards Legislation in respect of matters arising within
those States and Territories of Australia where such legislation exists.

The information in this email and any attachments is confidential.  If you are not the named addressee you must not
read, print, copy, distribute, or use in any way this transmission or any information it contains.  If you have
received this message in error, please notify the sender by return email, destroy all copies and delete it from your
system.

Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender and not necessarily endorsed by BDO Kendalls.
You may not rely on this message as advice unless subsequently confirmed by fax or letter signed by a Partner or
Director of BDO Kendalls.  It is your responsibility to scan this communication and any files attached for computer
viruses and other defects.  BDO Kendalls does not accept liability for any loss or damage however caused which may
result from this communication or any files attached.  A full version of the BDO Kendalls disclaimer, and our Privacy
statement, can be found on the BDO Kendalls website at http://www.bdo.com.au or by emailing administrator () bdo com au.

BDO Kendalls is a national association of separate partnerships and entities.