Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Secure file transfer

From: "Alex Alexiou" <Alex.Alexiou () intersystems com>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 17:10:09 -0400

I used FTP over SSL (sometimes referred to as FTPS) for a situation such as
this. I once worked at a company whose business relied on receiving and
sending sensitive data from thousands of client users, and some of them
would send us files that were hundreds of megs. I set up Rhinosoft Serv-U on
a fairly powerful Windows server with lots of space and a fast backbone
connection to the Internet. The sites that I set up used implicit encryption
(as opposed to explicit) which meant that they HAD to connect over SSL. It
also requires an FTP client that supports connecting via FTP over SSL. We
ended up posting instructions on our website on how to download and install
Filezilla, because it's free and fairly intuitive. It took a while to set up
due to the large number of users, but once it was in place it was very easy
to manage, and our clients had very few problems with it. Obviously, sending
the data over SSL is a lot slower than regular FTP, but it's probably about
as fast as you'll find, and quite secure. As long as you follow good
security protocols (strong passwords, no anonymous accounts, etc) you should
be ok.

Serv-U is only for Windows, but if you need a Unix solution there are a
number of things you can use. I'm pretty sure vsftpd supports FTP over SSL,
and Filezilla also has an FTP server application, though I've never used it.