Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Private IP Address from Exchange

From: "Jason Ross" <algorythm () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2007 23:39:17 -0400

On 5/30/07, Danux <danuxx () gmail com> wrote:
When i send a message from my local area to yahoo, the local ip
address of my local mail box server is shown in Internet, i would like
to know if there is a way to hide the local ip address.
How could i hide the local ip address??????

<snip>

Microsoft says "it is the way the protocol works!!!", following the
related RFC.

I'm not an Exchange expert by any means, so can't really answer the
"how to" part of the question you're asking, but I wanted to throw my
2bits in the bucket by saying that, in this case, Microsoft is correct,
and having the mail server's real IP in the headers is the "correct"
behaviour.

A relevant snippet from RFC 3821 is section 3.8.1:

  When forwarding a message into or out of the Internet environment, a
  gateway MUST prepend a Received: line, but it MUST NOT alter in any
  way a Received: line that is already in the header.
  <snip> However, the most important use of Received: lines is for
  debugging mail faults, and this debugging can be severely hampered
  by well-meaning gateways that try to "fix" a Received: line.

While this particular example from the RFC doesn't specifically state
that the IP must be accurate, it does indicate *why* doing so is
desired. See also section 4.4 of the same RFC.

--
jason