Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Private IP address with yahoo messenger

From: Alcides <alcides.hercules () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2007 13:36:20 +0530

Yes. I have the similar experience with gaim.

I have successfully tested the "Get Information" functionality of gaim on Fedora core 6.

Then I updated gaim to pidgin.
I re-did the test several times and found that it does not get any private IP address. This failure is definitely result of something that has been changed in the source code; in the course of transition from gaim to pidgin.

Can there be any workaround to fix this "inability" in pidgin?

Thanks.

Absolutely right.

In past, I have successfuly tested this fact with gaim.
But this post made me test it for the present avatar of Gaim, -called pidgin.

So far, I got negative results for the same test. It seems that the
way gaim was able to "get information" about a buddy, it's not
possible with pidgin.  Although, "get Information" feature is there,
way of implementation might have changed.  I think this thing needs
more discussion to advance the research in the right way.

Thanks and regrds.