Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Why TCP is more secure than UDP?

From: "Uzair Hashmi" <uzair () kse com pk>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 12:18:50 +0500

As far as data integrity is concerned both TCP and UDP are not secure at
all, unless other mechanism is entertained (e.g. Encryption, etc). TCP
is connection oriented protocol, meaning that it has a 3 way handshake
(SYN ACK etc). States of the packets are maintained in the TCP suite
(e.g. ESTABLISHED) which helps in accepting new packet rather they are
according to the handshake and state; thus giving a basic level of
security that the new packet is related to the previous packet (in the
same session / connection). Read RFC793 for TCP.

Whereas in case of UDP, there is no such concept. Each and every packet
in UDP is an independent packet, applications plant packet sequencing
logic in the payload of each packet. Read RFC768 for UDP.

In short; the logic that comprehend (or implement) connection
orientation of TCP, gives a very very basic level of security. I hope
this explains the core basic difference.

Best Regards,
Uzair