Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: FW: VA Loses another Hard Drive with data on 48,000 veterans

From: "kevin fielder" <kevin.fielder () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2007 10:48:29 +0000

Hi

I can comment on a product called SafeBoot that we currently use.
This product works very well, with centralised management, allowing
control of password policies etc.  Performance is not affected to a
great degree, you do notice the speed of boot up being slower, but in
general use (e.g. opening / saving documents and emails etc) the
performance is not noticeably impacted.

A couple of things to bear in mind when looking at these products you
want to use a genuine full disk encryption product that requires some
form of authentication prior to any sort of access to the O/S, and you
should also ensure that it can block hibernate type functionality to
ensure that the machine is shut down each time the user finishes work
- if hibernate is permitted you have a situation where if stollen the
laptop can be opened and the thief is faced with the windows prompt
and a drive that has already had the credentials entered to allow
access to the data on it.

Cheers

Kevin